Wiadomości od Dave'a Adcock'a ...czyli co sie dzieje w Soton

Moderator: machinogodzilla

ODPOWIEDZ
Awatar użytkownika
e-admin
Administrator

wt maja 08, 2007 12:12 am

Hi

I've begun to dislike the phrase 'Eastern European workers.' It gives the impression that people who come from the EU just work and that's it! One thing that I've discovered over the last couple of years, is that you all bring your own culture with you. over the next few weeks there are several events that reflect the influence that arivals from Eastern Europe are having on Southampton.

Harbour Lights Cinema is showing a short season of Kieslowski films on Wednesday evenings from 6.30pm
9 May The Double Life of Veronique
16 May Three colours: Blue
23 May Three Colours: White
30 May: Three Colours: Red
http://www.picturehouses.co.uk 08707 551 237

The Nuffield Theatre's youth department presents FLY AWAY PAWEL FLY AWY PIOTR. A look at Polish immigration to Southampton past and present
The Youth Theatre have worked closely with Polish artists and musicians in Southampton.. Performances will be on
Thursday 17th May at Cantell School (Violet Road so16 3GJ)- 8 p.m.,and Friday 18th May at St Edmund's Catholic Church - 7.30 p.m.. Tickets prices Ł3. http://www.nuffieldtheatre.co.uk 02380 671771

Polish rock band Oddzial Zamkniety play at Southampton Guildhall on 20 May at 7.00pm. Tickets Ł13 in advance (from 02380 632601 or 02380 211042) Tockets on the night will be Ł20.

Also on 20 May from 6.00pm, Unity 101 on 101fm presents its Polish music programme

For news of other events in Southampton, click on http://www.southampton.gov.uk/whatson

Over the Summer EU Welcome is organising a series of walks. The first is a Peace Walk on Sunday 3 June. We will be joining with people from other ethnic groups in Southampton and visiting different places of worship. It starts at 12.45pm at the Peace Fountain in Andrews Park near Southampton Solent University. There will be translation into Polish. The walk is free and there will also be free refreshments.

Southampton Solent University have an Open Day on 19 May between 10am and 4pm. If you are thinking of studying for a degree, do make every effort to attend. EU Welcome will be there offering translation help. There are flyers available in Polish

Are you concerned about racism against EU people in Southampton? A local couple who have suffered attacks, would like to get in touch with others, with the aim of setting up an association to help people who suffer racism, and to make sure that people get justice from the police and other authorities. If you are interested or want to know more, please contact me

The Mother and Children's group at St Boniface Church, Shirley High Street will continue every Tuesday morning until the end of July If you have children under 5, or know people who have, it is a great place to come. It runs from 10am, and is open to all Eastern European families.

The next dates for the Barclay's Bank open days to open accounts, to get advice about loans etc are 12 May and 23 June. They run from 10.30am to 2.30pm at Barclay's London Road branch. Polish interpreters are available.

The next Advice Session that Anna and I are running will be on Friday 18 May from 6pm till 9pm at the YMCA building in Cranbury Place near the Inner Avenue. We try to help over any problem and are happy to fill in forms for you. all services are FREE!

Polish festival in Southampton? Next year Southampton City Council would like to find a date to have a celebration of the Polish presence in Southampton. They keep asking Anna and I what date would be the best. What do you think 3 May? 11 November? Any other?

Job available! Care worker needed in Otterbourne between Eastleigh and Winchester. Must speak good English. For details call Siobhan (pronounced Sh-vaun) on 02380 253519

Southampton City NHS are recruiting Health Trainers. The work is part-time and flexible. There is a recruitment day on Friday 11 May. for details, call 023 80 515212

An English family in Guildford, Surrey is looking for an au pair from 30 June. To contact the family please first call Agnieszka on 07841492626

I need your help. Have you registered your car in the UK? Have you changed your driving licence to a UK one? If so, and you know the rules, please contact me.

Interested in Mental Health issues? Mind the mental health charity sre looking for a Polish speaker with good english to help them for an hour on Satruday 30 June. Let me know if you'd like more details

If you have any ideas about what EU Welcome could do for you, please contact us

Dave 07786 392886 euwelcome@yahoo.co.uk

or Anna 07928 362088 anna_euwelcome@yahoo.co.uk

Best wishes
Dave
ODPOWIEDZ